Sunday, November 23, 2008

the powerful past

In my last entry, I forgot to mention a gem that I found while clearing out my old stuff. I found a vanguard sheet titled "my family tree" that I made in 1994 for my secondary 1 history class. As a special touch to this family tree diagram, I had a section at the bottom that I labeled "most memorable events". I had asked each and every family member, from my grandparents down to my cousins, about their most memorable event of the time. Here's a sampling:

Grandfather - When his child graduated in law
Father - When he was awarded the President's scholarship
Mother - Going with my father to register for marriage
Aunt - When her front permanent tooth broke
Me - When I won 2nd prize in mini tennis
Sister - When she won 2nd prize for badminton (we're a family of first runner ups, apparently.. and very proud of it!)
Brother1 - When he sat a plane to Australia
Brother2 - When he went to Dinosaur Park

If only my most memorable event were that simple now. hah hah. And history would perfectly describe last night for me. I went for Katong Laksa with some friends last night. I'd say it's a mix of old and new. My best friend who I've known forever, my first friend in the world (I was her playmate in Boston in the first six months of my life), two NY friends that I've gotten to know over the past two years, one of the NY friend's primary school friends... Anyway, Katong Laksa was all thumbs up, as was five-star hainanese chicken rice. Sadly, my friend wasn't at five-star, otherwise we might've gotten the discount plus more food! haha.

Then we went back to my place for an evening soiree. Makes me think back to this R Kelly song from long ago. I actually don't even think I know the song title. "Parents not around, ladies all around, me and the crew, doin' what we do..." Anyway, my parents were out of town so I decided to have some friends over (thanks to JH for the suggestion). So, obvi-(bar and grill), I had the Katong Laksa bunch. Then I also had my two old sec school friends over plus JH. So good to know that some things never change. BB was still as dramatic as ever, getting flustered as her heel got stuck in a grate outside my place. and completely randomly, it turns out that YS and JW were best friends on the school bus in Nanyang Primary! YS is my really good friend from sec sch and JW is one of the NY friends. How small is the world??!

I broke up the party coz I really wanted to go dance. Phuture. Bad decision. Felt like a cougar, and I think there were many people there who might've been my baby brother's friends... Clear sign that it's time to find new things to do in Singapore. I'm going to start with kiteboarding. Have a rendezvous in 1.5 hours with some Sg kiters at a secret beach in Singapore. "Stinky Bay". Hasta luego!

3 comments:

gugglesisadreamer said...

secret beach in singapore?????????????

Anonymous said...

omg, i remember that family tree too!! glad u're back hanging out with all yr friends again..:)
5-star chicken rice huh? guess u have to go to kim choo too, just to pay uncle wong a visit..the east has such gd food:PP
sher

mushu said...

hehe yes, it was quite the adventure. it's a story for offline.

and yaaahhh 5-star, but Brandon not there! i will def be popping by kim choo some time. Come back n visit soon!!!