Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Finally, Buenos Aires!

So it's true, I got to Buenos Aires late at night and nobody was there with the keys. It really wasn't what I expected from my night. I met this cute Argentinean man on the plane (this subset of men are few and far between). I thought we were going for a late dinner and to hang out. Unfortunately, I only gave him the number of my apartment so... serendipity. I didn't expect to be locked out and hence, I never saw or spoke to him again.

Some kind security guards were trying to help me and a very angry doorman was speaking to me in rapid spanish which I couldn't understand. At 3am in the night, it was a little scary. Finally, some kind man asked if I wanted to stay at his place... at 3 in the morning, I agreed. In retrospect, he could've been kinda crazy. He was extremely kind though - he got me a bottle of red wine and made me chicken nuggets. We hung out at his balcony overlooking Palermo Soho and chatted till 5:30am.

Several frantic emails later that morning, Marcela finally came with my keys and Winnie arrived from NY. Wahoo! We had lunch at La Cupertina with great locros and empanadas, and por supuesto, una botella grande de vino tinto (malbec, no less). Spent the afternoon walking around Palermo Soho. Later that afternoon, we meandered to this cute cafe called Baraka Cafe and had limonada con menta y the Baraka Brulee. Off the charts!

Night time was all about (more) food. We went straight for the kill - La Cabrera. Well, Winnie and I were stood up by Brazilian hedge fund man that I met and shared a cab with to BA. lauya pok. We decided to have a ton of fun just because we always do, and also coz we were annoyed that he was so rude. Anyway, we had ensalada de mozarella y tomate and the ribeye. Complemented that with an Alama Risierva de 2006 (my second malbec of the day).

While at the resto, I met the third set of Frenchmen of my trip. This time, it was a huge group of AirFrance stewards/stewardesses and they invited us to a big trendy club. Some of the guys heard we were from Singapore, and one yelled out "Punggol Marina" and the other yelled "Raffles" and "Singapore Sling". haha. The guy who was most interested in us, unfortunately, was a lot shorter than he looked when he was sitting down. As Wins said, "PASS". So after din, we politely left our tables and forgot to ask them where they were going.

Went home for a disco nap before we went out again at 1:30am to meet Ale's friend Gaston at Congo, a great outdoor bar. He brought along his new Colombian love interest and two other Argentinean friends. We got bored standing around the bar coz he was ONE HOUR late! Or maybe it was just 20 minutes but felt like an hour coz men here in general are very friendly (and I think we were feeling like we were too good for anyone at that point).

After Congo, we went to Fidel in search of salsa but it was disappointing. Crowd was too young, not cute, and nobody was dancing. Oh, and also, a man outside the club said "You really should improve your Spanish" to me, coz I couldn't understand what he was saying for the life of me. hah hah.

Soo.... after being bored and getting insulted, we decided to go to Jet at 4am. Super trendy club in Puerto Madero. Don't know how we got in free. I was pretty buzzed from all the drinks of the night and pretended I didn't understand what the doorman meant when he said that I had to pay to get in. We strolled in and hid form the doorman for the rest of the night. Partied till 6:32am coz we wanted to say that we danced till sunrise. We took a photo at sunrise outside the club and then went home.

No comments: