Sunday, August 05, 2007

Dealing at work... the American way

I never realized how Asian I was until I came to New York and worked in corporate America. In Asia, we don't ever confront or say what we really think. In Europe, in your face and direct. In the US, people say what they think, but in a PC fashion. Yesterday, I finally told off one of the consultants, and it felt so damn good. I said that I didn't appreciate her taking her anger out on me, and that I didn't work well with tempers. So she apologized to me, but a few moments later, used me as a punching bag again. Duh. I suppose if people are bitchy to me coz they're very good at what they do, I can accept it. On the other hand, if they are asses because they are incompetent, I cannot stand it.

So Friday's event went really well. Everybody loved it, and it ran with only a couple minor glitches. As usual, the consultant was being incompetent and bossy, perseverating on the need for a stage (think about it, the event had only 80 people) and about decorating the table with our Godiva giveaways. Priorities, people, priorities. But unfortunately, it was such a busy day that I forgot that I didn't have lunch (I was so pumped on adrenaline) and also hadn't had dinner. So you can imagine, the 3 gin and tonics that I had after did not go down well. I came home at 8pm, projector, laptop and all, and PTFOed (passed the f**k out). I woke up the next day, and realized that it was broad daylight. I was feeling massively drunk (because I still hadn't had dinner), and that some old dude (older than my father) had pretty much coerced my number out of me. He was the head caterer at the event, and apparently a coach in public speaking. UGH! haha.

I spent all Saturday nursing myself to health. Upon some persuasion, I ended up going out. Pretty clean night, dancing to retro music in alphabet city. Good stuff. Well, except for the part at Uncle Ming's where we watched japanese cartoon porn from a projector while a bondage mannequin stared at us from a corner of the bar. And now it's Sunday again, and another week at work ahead of us. Ugh. Enjoy the week, people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

miss you LEE. take care, i'll help you box all those people that annoy you.

KWEEEEE