Friday, March 16, 2007

It never rains in Southern California...

...but I'm in Northern California right now. Minor detail.

I don't like to be the ass that laughs in the face of the misfortune of others (schadenfreude), but I am. I'm currently in San Francisco for the week, while a big snow storm is happening as we speak, in the big apple. Being in SF makes me soooooo tempted to take on a project here, just coz people here walk slower, talk slower, the weather's so good... But the travel might just be a little bit of hell, as I've witnessed today. A few people I know that are trying to get into NY might be stuck here for the next few days coz of that aforementioned snowstorm.

I visited Haight-Ashbury for the first time since I've been to SF. Wonder what took me so long to get there. It's like Ann Arbor, just larger scale. Very quaint stores that sell everything from vinyls to vintage clothing, from beer to bongs. It actually also reminds me of that one street in Berkeley... the name escapes me. All these hippies and potheads chilling by the side of the road, high on something, fondly stroking the heads of their dogs. I always wondered, if they are so poor that they have to live off the sidewalk, why would they get themselves an animal whose maintenance cost could be potentially as much as a human's?

Last night I went to eat at a tapas place on Steiner, near the Marina. The food was pretty good, but they had the most grande servings of tapas in the world. Tapas es comidas pequenas, no? Went with an old college friend of mine, and his very interesting friend from Hong Kong. Eccentric, to say the least. But stranger than serving very big plates of tapas was the fact that the bar ONLY served soju (the K-version of vodka). The restaurant was very confused.

And a quick aside. I went to watch Music and Lyrics last week with a couple colleagues. It's some romantic comedy about an 80s has-been popstar (Hugh Grant) that has to write a hit pop song in 4 days for a very famous teen star (the role was inspired by Britney Spears). The story line and acting were nothing to powerpoint about, but this video, imho, completely made the movie. Sorry, but I'm a sucker for bad 80s pop, the hair, the outfits... "Ladies, are my pants too tight???"

Up at 6am Californian time this morning to take a 9am call in NY. This time change thing, BRUTAL. But at least I get to be somewhere with pleasant weather. Getting into the REAL client work now, and it gets a little frustrating. Been feeling kinda stagnant both professionally and personally, which always means, in Mushu World, that it's time for some big radical change. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for the next big thing. Back to work now.

1 comment:

uraraa said...

hey girl! glad u're feeling better n missing that storm in NY!!..
we've been having great weather here too.. keep me posted on yr next big change:P!