Monday, July 14, 2008

My not-so-crazy weekends

These days, I use my weekends to get over the psychological trauma of the weekdays. The travel is no longer the biggest issue here. One day, I just might send my manager my shrink bill.

So I was posed a thinking point this past weekend. Maybe I should be planning my weekends more carefully. 17 weekends left. Is this really the end of an era? I'll say, it ain't over till I'm all packed up and shipped off.

********************

So here's the countdown, starting at #17:

Friday

I kick-started my Friday with an afternoon drink at the rooftop bar of Patroon. A gin fizz that was a bit too much lemonade and too little gin. Or so I thought. Running even 2 miles was an issue, and I don't think I've felt this sick in a long time (minus the time I almost choked up when I developed hives running to W's place). Sweat was oozing out my pores (sexy can i just pardon my manners) and probably gin was too.

The night started off with a que romantica date to the Met to watch Giselle (the ballet not the supermodel). Enjoyed it with a man to our right that was snoring, and a man sitting behind that was very well-versed in the orchestral score and the moves. "do re mi fa so jete jete pique pique pique pique pique pique pique PIQUE PIQUE!! BRAVO BRAVO!" This was followed by a trek to oysters & Champagne at Ed's Lobster Grill. Not the best I've had, but still great company and great conversation. Oooh, and great zucchini chips! On the way to Ed's, we were solicited by a painter on rollerblades that wanted us to be his muses (what is the plural). The deal breaker (yes I'm shallow) was when he tripped over himself as he was saying goodbye. Just keeeding. Oh, and we didn't want the night to end so we ended up at Pravda for more drinks. No Gogol for me though (horseradish vodka + pickled quail's eggs = MEH).

Saturday

Company picnic where I visited East River Park for the first time. There's so much to New York that I still haven't seen. Ahh. By the end of my 17 weekends, I want to have zero regrets. East River is nice and breezy with a good view, but I think nothing beats the sunsets by the Hudson. :)

Rhong Tiam with a motley but fun crew of Raffles peeps. Thai food was yummerlicious! Highly recommended if you want to have good Asian food in a fairly "chic" atmosphere. Then after that it was off to beer pong at Off the Wagon (can anyone say College???) Suggested by my friend who I've always viewed as the ultimate in sophistication. I guess 人不可貌相. And Chunnie, playing for the second time in her life, actually knocked down the game-winning shot against the reigning champions (these random white dudes with beer bellies). Ended up at Tribeca Grand for the night. Got tired by 2am. Getting old?

Sunday

Got to enjoy a motorcycle ride down the FDR (wheeee!) all the way to C-town to have dim sum at Jin Fong. Then made a spontaneous trip across the Brooklyn Bridge to get ice cream from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Perfect weather, saw a wedding entourage there. Bootiful place to take pics actually. Ended the day with a run to Soho to hang with my Giselle date at her place.

****************

That's all folks. How short and non-descriptive is the entry getting? Can you tell I'm getting tired and winding down now? In the big bad R-O-C (D-O-double-GEEEE) for the week. Counting down till Thursday evening.

And looking forward to the weekend when I get to see Carlito, run in my skivvies (Team Pink!), belt out La Bamba at Samovar, and anything else that comes my way.

2 comments:

uraraa said...

girl, i've got a task for u in the ROC.. i'll email u the deets

grace said...

hey there-- been reading from time to time, love the stories of all your exploits :) may i ask what you're counting down until?