Monday, July 07, 2008

My Great Alaskan Adventure - Saturday, July 5

Ah, last day of our vacation. We joined the Kenai Fjord Tours cruise for our tour of the Kenai Fjord National Park. We went through Resurrection Bay, passed by Bear Glacier on our way to Holgate Glacier, and then to the Ailik Bay. Along the way, we saw so many sea birds! The usual cawing seagulls (that no guides bother to point out), horned puffins, oystercatchers, and a whole host of other seabirds whose names I can’t remember. Also saw otters and Stellar sea lions. The most amazing thing we saw though, were the whales (as our guide commented repeatedly, whale soup!) We caught glimpses of a Northwestern whale and many humpbacks! Mama humpback, baby humpback, hot-blooded male humpback trying to get with mama humpback… Ooh, and we also saw a whole group of porpoises playing with each other! Sadly, we never saw the orcas (killer whales) or terrestrial animals (bears and mountain goats) for that fact. It was a quiet little cruise but the perfect way to end our vacation. Unwinding… we even fell asleep on the cruise! As my sis said, a very expensive nap.

As I sit on the plane writing this last entry, I am saddened as I watch the craggy snow-covered landscape disappear beneath the clouds.

No comments: