It was very poetic that on my last day of work, I had to also attend the funeral service of my ji lao pek. I've been anticipating the last day of work for such a long time that it really wasn't an event of any sort. I completed all my admin work, waved goodbye to everyone in my project room, and walked right out the door. Well, I did go up to say goodbye to my regional lead, and since I belong to the kumbaya-lets-all-get-along group, I got a hug from her. Ok so other than that, it was a non-event. Good story, I know.
I guess the more final goodbyes were said at my ji lao pek's funeral earlier that morning. If there is anyone I want to be like when I'm that old (he was going to turn 90 in Sept), it would be him. He was so energetic and chatty, and had such a good heart. Right up to his death, he was still taking care of his children / grandchildren. His daughter gave the eulogy and related this story that I found particularly poignant. One weekend after church, lao pek said, "lets go and buy some bright red flowers today, ok?" His children asked why. Apparently they had forgotten that it was lao pek's and lao mm's wedding anniversary. Even though she had died two years before, he'd never stopped thinking about her. If you haven't lived your life for the people you love, then what's worth living for. Now he's gone up to heaven to be with her. Very aspirational.
New chapter. Went to Malacca for 2 days with my gentleman friend and another couple. It wasn't quite what I was expecting from the city. The memories I have from my secondary 2 Malacca trip (umm, I'd say that was about 14 years ago) are vastly different from the Malacca I saw this week. I was expecting a low key small historical town but instead got a huge mall and tons of traffic. I guess tourism happened. Shrug. Either way, it turned out to be the perfect vacation for me. Great company, yummy food, and lots of sleep. However, many times before, I have joked about being a foreigner because of my US passport. This time though, I really felt like I truly was a foreigner. Hello! I never heard of a Ramley burger until 2009, and I have yet to taste one. True, I was absolutely enamoured by cities I visited in the past few years (can we say Buenos Aires?), but there's still so much to discover in this region.
I could really get used to this.
p.s. I am receiving my new Mazda3 SP this Wednesday. wahoo!
p.p.s. first day of school (2009 edition) tomorrow. Sentosa, where the peacocks roam free.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment