Thursday, January 03, 2008

Traditional men

I never knew that men in my generation still came in such traditional offerings. Today, I went for supper at Geylang with a friend that I got to know in the past year and a half. He insisted on picking me up, but for some reason, was waiting at the wrong house on the same road. So there I was waiting patiently, but there he was waiting as well - did not want to call me because he wanted to allow me to take my time. During supper, he always sat at a respectable distance away from me. haha. Now that I think about it, maybe it was coz I smelled bad. jkjk. And then after supper, he realized he left his cash in the car, and got all upset that I paid with my money. He got the change from his car and insisted that I take the cash to "save his manly pride". And he meant it too! Then later, I was like, ok bye now, but he said that he didn't give hugs because he was that traditional! I think that was the part that surprised me the most - that he was so proper / traditional that he didn't give hugs. Makes me think of that episode where Miss American 1944, Venus Ramey, went on the Jay Leno show but wouldn't shake his hand because "real ladies don't shake hands". Apparently, only if the lady offered her hand should the man take her hand and kiss the back of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oiii.. that's not by any chance Desmond right?:PP
sure sounds like him!! hehh
she_rises

ayesha said...

Some people just aren't into physical touch... ;-)