First night Sherise was here, we went to Oh Taisho with roomies, and then Verlaine's. Thursday morning, my sister arrived after a long and hard ordeal. She took the super shuttle (on my recommendation), and ended up being carted around Manhattan and Roosevelt Island, before arriving at my place. If you knew the geography of where I live, relative to Newark, you'd understand how ridiculous that route was.
Went to an opera for the first time in my life. I LOVED it. Drama happened before the ordeal - taking the wrong subway because the AC line was re-routed to the F line because of some track maintenance stuff, taking forever to catch the uptown train to get to the opera, Trish's flight was really late, her taxi driver was an ass (a whole different story), she was locked out of my apartment... But after dealing with all that, we made it to our seats with about 2 seconds to spare. Because of all the excitement, I was so tired that I fell asleep for a bit of the first act of I Puritani. I could spend hours and hours just listening to beautiful voices. I can't wait for my next opera. :D
After the opera, my sis and I walked down to get "street meat", with a ridiculously long 30 minute wait in the cold. I got worked up looking at the line, and left my little sis midtown, while I headed downtown to see Trish. Met up with a whole bunch of old friends and had an awesome time. Also met some new friends there. It is one thing I really love about NY - always get to meet new people, although interactions are so transient... Especially after hanging out with old friends this past week, I realize how much I miss quality over quantity.
NYE was spent sleeping in for most of the day, and then proceeding to extract my friends from their beds and dragging them to the long escalator dim sum place on Elizabeth. My Mich boys came over later that evening, and we went to Oh Taisho (again) to have more Japanese, and sake bombed the night away. Ok, so I haven't karaoked since I went out with my orientation group in 1998. But we had this inspiration to go karaoke-ing before midnight, and it was sooo much fun. I think I can only do it with close friends though. We were making fools of ourselves, singing like nobody was watching, and we even stood up to dance for the YMCA. haha.
Went to a party in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. In theory, very cool. In practice, very weird people. But hey, some of my closest friends were with me (yes mushroom, that includes you too). I was forced to count down, but it was fun. We had party hats on and all that good stuff. People were yelling like crazy, as if life had changed drastically for the better, even though the end of 2006 felt strangely like it did at the beginning of 2007.
On New Year's Day, everyone trooped over to my place to watch the Rose Bowl. Sad news. Michigan was pretty much destroyed. Kinda bummed. But later, everyone went out to McSorley's (sp??), apparently the oldest bar in NYC - established 1841. Then everything was alright.
Oh, and on the 2nd of Jan, my baby mushroom treated me to Nobu! It was a girl's night out with Sherise and mush. We all dressed up, and had fun conversation, lots of laughs, and good food. Had an awesome waiter that recommended us the BEST FOOD! (Oh, and funny, but he was Malaysian....quite random.) Although I dunno, maybe Nobu was so good that every dish we ordered could've been good.
But little mushroom left the next day, and Sherise left soon after. Suddenly, my room became so big and empty again. Took a couple days to adjust to being alone again (after having up to five people living with me). But it also did take a little while to adjust to having people live with me. Ahh, but seriously, what better way to spend the New Year. I was almost regretful not going home, but after everything that happened, I couldn't regret it anymore. Come back soon guys. I promise I will TRY not to be such a big sister to both of u, and will try to let you guys sleep in. heh heh. yeah right. :D But thanks for coming. Really topped off a very good year for me.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Karaoke with your orientation group!
:)
We're actually thinking of doing the karaoke thing again sometime... you'll be missed.
Happpy new yeaR!
yesh dajie, lemme sleep in!! wheh:PP
Post a Comment