Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hood River, OR

Ok so I stopped counting the weekends. I really don't want to. It scares the crap out of me. Anyway, I'm in Hood River this weekend at a spectacular vacation home. http://www.gorgeres.com/Two_Bridge.jpg

Came out to kite with 6 other people (group has since expanded to about 9 of us). The gorge is really beautiful except that it's been unexpectedly cold around here. It feels like deja vu - my sophomore year spring break 2002, except everyone has more spending power. No more hojos (howard johnsons) or beds that fall apart under no pressure (don't go getting any wrong ideas). And maybe we're wiser - no ideas of body piercing under the influence of alcohol.

Went kiting on THursday, couldn't kite yesterday coz the winds were way too strong, and waiting for my kite lesson today. THere's a kite boarding for cancer charity event going on today and it's super festive by the gorge. Lots of hot rugged men on their boards, long jumps, 360s, y'know, the usual. I haven't gotten up on the board yet coz I can't control my kite and it falls (yes, performance anxiety) once the board's thrown to me. But I am positive. I think today's the day. I've been saving myself. ;)

Yesterday when we couldn't kite, Wins and I took the car and went out to check out the falls at Mosier. Didn't bring swimsuit, (Wins) contemplated skinny dipping but then (we collectively, maturely) decided to just go the underwear route. Honestly, if I saw or did anymore with Wins, I'd ask her to elope with me.

Night time was a riot. Went for a fancy dinner at Three Winds, appetizers and 4 bottles of wine later, the bill came up to only $75. Unheard of in NY. And the best restaurant in Hood River, no doubt. Servers were not liking our rowdy group. The German, the Spaniard, the Brazilian, the Italian, the Singaporean(s), and the (surprisingly outnumbered) American were too much for Brenda. Went for karaoke at this sketchy chinese restaurant and erm, yeah, Mattias caught the fancy of this young lady. I don't even know how to describe our night... Dave jumping up for a tabletop dance and two burly security guards almost hauling him out, sterling performances by the group to Johnny Cash, the Grease soundtrack and some random version of I will survive... And yeah, it was a good night. I've not laughed this hard in such a long time, and I think most of the party would agree with me.

No comments: